Stella Penso

Stella Penso

ผู้เยี่ยมชม

stellapenso98@gmail.com

  EMI Share Option Scheme — Is It Actually Worth Setting Up Early? (4 อ่าน)

18 ก.ย. 2569 19:32

<p dir="ltr">We have been talking about setting up an EMI share option scheme for early employees and I wanted to actually understand how it works before assuming it is straightforward. Here is what I have pieced together so far, would appreciate anyone correcting me or adding context.

<p dir="ltr">EMI stands for Enterprise Management Incentive, a UK government approved way to give employees share options with favourable tax treatment. There are eligibility rules on both sides, the company needs to meet certain size and asset limits, and employees need to work a minimum number of hours per week. Options are usually granted at the current market value, and if structured correctly, employees mainly pay capital gains tax when they eventually sell the shares. There is a valuation step involved, where the company agrees the market value of shares with HMRC in advance. Vesting schedules are common, so employees earn the right to their options over time, often tied to a cliff period.

<p dir="ltr">What I am still trying to understand is how early stage a company can realistically be before setting this up makes sense, and how much the valuation and legal setup actually costs.

<p dir="ltr">Has anyone here actually set up an EMI share option scheme for their team? Curious how long the process took, what HMRC actually asked for, and anything you wish you had known before starting.



<p dir="ltr">I ended up reading a related piece on Entrepreneur Plus UK when I was trying to make sense of this, it framed things from a founder angle which helped.

106.219.166.153

Stella Penso

Stella Penso

ผู้เยี่ยมชม

stellapenso98@gmail.com

ตอบกระทู้
Powered by MakeWebEasy.com
เว็บไซต์นี้มีการใช้งานคุกกี้ เพื่อเพิ่มประสิทธิภาพและประสบการณ์ที่ดีในการใช้งานเว็บไซต์ของท่าน ท่านสามารถอ่านรายละเอียดเพิ่มเติมได้ที่ นโยบายความเป็นส่วนตัว  และ  นโยบายคุกกี้